A homemade coronavirus face mask came in very handy for a Kentucky woman, whose husband used it to tie off the umbilical cord after she was forced to deliver their baby in a hospital parking lot, according to a report.

The special delivery came after Sarah Patrick woke up before dawn May 9 and told her hubby, David, that she was having contractions and needed to head to the hospital, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.

The couple left their two kids with grandparents and drove to Baptist Health Louisville at 3 a.m., but when they tried to enter the Women First pavilion, the doors were locked.

“We had no idea why, and it was probably 30 or 40 degrees out,” David told the news outlet.

Before long, Sarah’s water broke.

“We’re in the middle of the street, and she can’t move. She nearly collapses in front of the labor and delivery sign,” said David, who helped his wife lie down as he thought quickly on his feet.

“I’m not a doctor. I don’t have a number to reach anyone in the building. We’re basically in a concrete wilderness,” he said. “She’s in a lot of pain, and she’s ready to get this thing over with.”

Sarah PatrickFacebook

The frantic dad called 911 and explained the predicament to a dispatcher, who instructed him on the obvious first step — removing his wife’s pants so the baby could make the exit.

“I put my phone speaker and set it down. My wife is screaming. … ‘He’s coming! He’s coming!’” David told the paper. “I suddenly see about a third of the top of my new son’s head so I was like, ‘Oh my gosh! This is really happening!’”

After the newborn’s head popped out, the rest of his body “just flips out like a fish,” David said.

Following the dispatcher’s instructions, David wiped the crying baby’s face and mouth, and wrapped him in his leather jacket.

But things got interesting when the dispatcher told David to find something with which to tie the umbilical cord.

“We both had boots on, so we didn’t have shoe strings available,” David said. “But my grandmother had knitted COVID-19 masks for the family. I found a mask and rolled it like a really tight tortilla.”

An ambulance soon arrived with several nurses who placed Sarah and the newborn son on a stretcher.

“Congratulations, you did wonderful,” the dispatcher told the proud and relieved dad.

Soon after, doctors delivered the placenta after Sarah, 36, and David, 29, welcomed Navi Bond Patrick, who weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces.

Navi Bond Patrick was born in a hospital parking lot, where his dad used his coronavirus face mask to tie off the umbilical cord.

Navi means “prophet” in Hebrew, while Bond is in honor of James Bond — “one of my all-time favorite franchises,” David told the paper, adding that the baby was “perfectly healthy.”

“It was even the least complicated delivery of the three kids. And for my wife, they asked on a scale of 1 to 10 what her pain level was, with 10 being the highest, and she said a 1 and maybe needed ibuprofen. That’s all she took,” he said.

David added that the couple bore no hard feelings after finding themselves locked out of the hospital.

The hospital’s security chief also apologized for the incident and explained how Baptist would learn from the couple’s experience, David said.

“Everybody’s happy. Everybody’s healthy,” David said. “We thought we had planned for everything, but obviously there were a couple little holes in the plan.”


Source link